birding-aus

Splits, lumps, taxonomies, check-lists, whatever.

To: "Laurie Knight" <>
Subject: Splits, lumps, taxonomies, check-lists, whatever.
From: "Robert Inglis" <>
Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2013 08:53:08 +1000
I'm glad it was you, Laurie, who said that and not me.

To all of those people who have responded to my question and to those others who may be interested but who have wisely chosen to be silent I can say I will follow up my original posting. However, I am spending time reading those responses and trying hard to create a form of words which is as uncontroversial as possible. Could be difficult. Also, the tennis on the TV is playing havoc with my daily routine. Which could mean that I, poor misguided soul, may subconsciously believe that there are more important things in life than understanding how creatures become 'species'.

A clue to what will be in my next posting on this topic is that I think I asked the wrong question. It is so hard to ask the right question when one doesn't really have a clue about the subject. What was that saying .........."as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns - the ones we don't know we don't know"...............needs a bit of work, I think. (Incidentally, my spell checker didn't know "knowns" but it did know "unknowns".)

Bob Inglis
Sandstone Point
Qld
http://www.photos-n-guides.com/