birding-aus

Boobooks in Australia

To: "'John Tongue'" <>, "'Steve'" <>
Subject: Boobooks in Australia
From: "Jeff Davies" <>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2012 23:12:57 +1100
G'day John,

A possible mechanism could be that the Tasmanian, Norfolk and NZ birds
represent an older ancestral population of Boobooks which was originally
Australian wide. The mainland birds could represent a much more recently
evolved form that hasn't completely replaced the older types, or may never
replace these remnant older types which may be better adapted to colder
wetter environments.

Cheers Jeff.