birding-aus

Get Your Magenta Petrel on a cost-sharing sailing trip.

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Get Your Magenta Petrel on a cost-sharing sailing trip.
From: william abbott <>
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2012 21:16:49 -0800 (PST)
We are planning a sailing trip to the Chatham Islands on MV Tiama
(www.tiama.com) in late April/early May 2013, primarily for pelagic birding but
some land birding (snipe, black robin) as well. This is the end of the breeding
season for Chatham petrel and magenta petrel, and many other fabulous birds
should also be around (Chatham albatross, grey-backed storm petrel, Chatham
Island shag, mottled petrel , Northern Bullers albatross to name a few).
Amazingly, there are still some berths for the trip that are available on a
cost-sharing basis (estimate around NZD6,000 for a 12 day trip depending on
numbers). This is cheap birding.
But Wait, There’s More!!!
We will also sail past the Bounty Islands for Bounty Island Shag and Fulmar
Prion. The full trip will probably be Bluff to Bounty Islands to Chatham
Islands to Auckland. We’ll be chumming at the continental shelf, depending on
weather. The hopelessly sea-sick should probably not apply.
For more information contact Bill Abbott