birding-aus

Birding site?

To: Dave Torr <>
Subject: Birding site?
From: John Harris <>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2012 08:55:27 +1100
Thanks Dave,
I should have verified my info before emailing :-)

On Richard's point of information for visitors, I took 3 overseas visitors
around the WTP after they had caught the train to Werribee and a taxi from
there, thinking they could walk around and look at the birds. It wasn't
until the guy at the office asked them for their car rego number that it
became apparent to them that walking wasn't an option :-)

On 3 December 2012 06:50, Dave Torr <> wrote:

> Alas Malta is much larger. Always used to reckon the WTP was about 100 sq
> km - a bit less now as bits removed for the regional park and housing,
> Malta is 316 (
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_and_dependencies_by_area).
> If it were a country would probably come in at 225 or so - but by bird list
> a lot higher!
>
> On 3 December 2012 01:20, Richard Nowotny <
> >wrote:
>
> > I quite like the concept of a birding "precinct" - larger than a birding
> > site, but smaller than a birding region.
> >
> > Interesting to read that the WTP is larger than Cocos Is, similar size to
> > Malta.
> >
> > May be information of interest/assistance to potential visitors to the
> WTP
> > (both Australian and international) - gives a good sense of its size, ie
> > much more extensive than most people's preconceptions of the typical
> sewage
> > treatment plant.
> >
> > Richard
> >
> --

*Yours in all things* "*GREEN"*
**
*John Harris*
*Croydon, Vic*
*
Owner - Wildlife Experiences
Ecologist/Zoologist*
*Nature Photographer*
*Wildlife Guide*

*0409090955*
**
*President, Field Naturalists Club of Victoria*
*(www.fncv.org.au)*