birding-aus

Jacky Winter joint territorial/bonding flight

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Jacky Winter joint territorial/bonding flight
From: jenny spry <>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2012 16:14:38 +1100
Hi all,

Whilst at Gluepot I watched as a pair of Jacky Winter performed a bonding
or territorial display. I was standing on top of a treed sand dune on Track
8 at 0545 when a Jacky Winter took off from a branch in front of me and
flew high into the sky. I did not hear the bird call but about 30 seconds
later I saw it come back down and land on a horizontal dead branch.

A second bird then flew in and joined it and the pair began a joint
display. They sat close together on the branch and went into a hunched
back, rump up, wings slightly extend and tails fanned posture and reached
their bills toward each other while wagging their tales from side to side.
This behaviour lasted for about 3 seconds and then both birds took off and
flew high, like a pair of Eurasian Skylark would. They hung for a few
seconds at the top of the ascent before dropping back to a different but
nearby horizontal branch. After this joint flight and a second display
session both birds did one more joint flight/display session and then flew
off together into the low Mallee cover on the sand dune.

The first bird may have done more than the one solo skylark-like display
flight before I arrived or noticed its presence. I have put a longer report
and some photos on my blog

cheers

Jenny
http://jenniferspryausbirding.blogspot.com.au/