birding-aus

Only 5 days to go for Dog Ban submissions

Subject: Only 5 days to go for Dog Ban submissions
From: Malcolm Brown <>
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2012 20:36:20 +1100
There are only five days to go before the Parks Victoria public consultation
period regarding the banning of dogs in the Mornington Peninsula National Park
ends.

There are fewer than 600 Hooded Plovers left in Victoria
Last year 98% of Hooded Plover breeding attempts in the Mornington Peninsula
National Park failed.
The National Park has the lowest breeding success of similar coastal reserves
in Victoria.
Over the last 6 years more than 200 chicks in this National Park have perished.
Dogs have been identified as a "limiting factor" to Hooded Plover breeding by
the DSE and BirdLife Australia .

 If we cannot protect a threatened species in a National Park, where can we.

Please go to www.hoodedplover.com and follow the links to the Parks Victoria
page where submissions can be made.

Malcolm Brown
0403 997 831