birding-aus

Kamchatka Leaf Warbler (new bird for Oz) and other vagrants off NW WA

To: "" <>
Subject: Kamchatka Leaf Warbler (new bird for Oz) and other vagrants off NW WA
From: Rohan Clarke <>
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2012 20:24:42 +1100
Hi All,

Five of us (George Swann, Mike Carter, Ash Herrod, Alistair Stewart and myself) have just returned from a November survey trip to Ashmore Reef and several inshore islands off NW Western Australia.

The birding highlight was Australia's first documented Kamchatka Leaf Warbler Phylloscopus examinandus observed over several days at Ashmore Reef. A series of images and sound recordings of its diagnostic contact call were obtained. Pics of the bird are here: http://www.pbase.com/wildlifeimages/kamchatka_leaf_warbler

Kamchatka Leaf Warbler is a recent (2008) split from Arctic Warbler Phylloscopus borealis. We were therefore fortunate to also observe and photograph a typical Arctic Warbler within about 50 m of the KL Warbler.
http://www.pbase.com/wildlifeimages/image/147528039

Other rarities at Ashmore included a Pechora Pipit (fourth for Australia?), a Watercock, a Little Stint, an Oriental Reed Warbler and three Grey Wagtails. We also had a largish swiftlet that was well photographed, but whose identity is yet to be resolved. Other interesting birds including a migrant Peregrine Falcon, an Indonesian Collared Kingfisher and several Green-headed Wagtails.

On Browse Island we had an Island Monarch, whilst at Adele Island we had yet another Grey Wagtail and a Common Redshank.

Finally, at sea well south of Ashmore Reef we had an Abbott's Booby.

I've posted pics of many of these vagrant birds here:
http://www.pbase.com/wildlifeimages/vagrants

Cheers,
Rohan Clarke

--