birding-aus

Freckled Duck - Bermagui, Far South Coast of NSW

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: Freckled Duck - Bermagui, Far South Coast of NSW
From: David Adams <>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2012 14:09:26 +1100
I was walking along the front of "Moorhen Cove" just north of Bermagui
today and had short, close, clear looks at a Freckled Duck. I'm unclear how
to sex this species outside of the male in breeding plumage, which this was
not.

I presumably surprised the bird and it quickly disappeared in the reeds. I
went home for my scope and camera and walked around the far side of the
water to try and get another look but without luck. I can count on one hand
the number of times that I've seen Freckled Duck anywhere and I'm not
particular familiar with their habits. Are they normally particularly shy?

I checked with our local area expert and she reported that Freckled Ducks
 aren't known from this area. I read in Pizzey that they're irruptive. Have
people been seeing them elsewhere around the coasts of NSW or Victoria this
season?