birding-aus

Update on Franklin Gull Please

To: Tim Bawden <>
Subject: Update on Franklin Gull Please
From: Geoff Price <>
Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2012 21:23:49 +1100
Greetings all,

And even further updates! I had spent hours thrashing Paynesville on Tuesday and Wednesday, with zero success. Upon arriving home tired and dispirited on both of those days, I read of the delight of twitchers who had seen the beast whilst I was no doubt on the the side of town. or maybe having an ale. So it was with some trepidation I set off from Moe again today, with hideous winds and torrential rain straight from the Old Testament. That may be an appropriate analogy as I snared it within 10 seconds at the usual spot opposite the hardware store! It flew off towards Raymond Island, and I thought that fleeting glimpse would have to do. A pint of lager seemed appropriate, and after indulging I went back to the carpark and there it was again! I was able to roll the car to about 20 metres of it, and it actually came in closer - or maybe it was the crumbs of the biscuits I was eating. I was pleased to see it was no snob, happily devouring the proffered dollar-a-packet custard-cream biscuit. It stayed there for the best part of an hour (maybe the car was a windbreak), and was still there when I left at 4.45 pm. Friendly little beast - I named him Buddy (for obvious reasons). In the end it was a successful day, though I doubt I have driven in worse weather conditions in 30 years of driving, and certainly haven't birded in such a gale since the halcyon days of Cape Schanck in the late 70s. Thank to all who have seen it for the info, and I would advise any Franklin-free twitchers to give it a go, it seems quite settled.

Cheers
Geoff