birding-aus

Update on Franklin Gull Please

To: Geoff Price <>, Jenny Stiles <>, Tim McKellar <>, Alan Benson <>
Subject: Update on Franklin Gull Please
From: Scott Ryan <>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2012 14:12:51 -0700 (PDT)
Hi All,

Thank you for the info. I did see the bird & got a couple of dodgy photos!
I arrived at 7.30am after a 5 hour drive. Initially I was in the wrong spot,
there is a hardware opp. the ferry, south of the canal, which is south of the
large gravel area where the bird had been seen.
I spent the first few hours searching along the shoreline in both areas, i.e.
north & south of the small canal, in amongst all the yacht moorings & scanning
anything that flew by that looked like a gull or a tern.
After that I decided to jump on the ferry & go across the canal & check around
the shore of Raymond Island, still no luck.
Around 12.30 I came back to the original area outside the Hardware, on the
gravel carpark. While standing next to my car (on the phone to work!!) I had to
hang up cause I saw a bird coming towards me from the north, it looked
gull-like but flight more tern-like very slightly. I grabbed binos just as it
passed but I got a glimpse of black on head. I also noticed on the back its
colour was slightly browner-silver than the silver of a silver gull, & the
wings seemed to be edged white on top. It was heading south so I jumped in the
car & raced around to the south of town, but could not see it from the car
park to the left of the playground. About 250 m to the south I saw a group of
gulls around a car that looked like they were being fed, so I raced over there.
As I got near I noticed a single gull hanging back from the others & it had a
black head!! I pulled over near by, grabbed my camera & as I took my first
photo it took off. I managed 3-4 quick snaps
 as it flew past, I grabbed binos & saw it from behind again as it flew back
towards the north. I spent 20 more minutes trying to locate it again but with
no luck. The group of gulls that were being fed were on a grassy area in front
of a craft centre, southwest of the main shopping area of town.
All up, I got about 15 secs view of the bird but it made the drive home very
sweet.
Thanks again to all who answered my request, particularly Tim, whose good oil
was very useful.
Good luck to all who chase the little beauty

Scott Ryan