birding-aus

What bird #2

To: Philip Veerman <>
Subject: What bird #2
From: "Valentine, Peter" <>
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2012 03:55:26 +0000
Hi Philip,
              Yes, your interpretation is correct that I was referring to the
northern Queensland form of the Little Shrike-thrush. You might appreciate that
Victorians may not be familiar with this rufous form and therefore might be
more likely to look for an alternative species when they see the rufous form
(hence the prospect of it being a Bower's Shrike-thrush is explored). To locals
in northern Queensland that is not an issue. You of course correctly identify
the other features of the bird that exclude Bower's Shrike-thrush.

Having said that the geography is pretty clear Philip - the Wet Tropics is 1000
km south of Cape York. Bower's Shrike-thrush does not get even close to Cape
York. The nearest rainforest to Cape York is the Lockerbie scrub, but even much
further south, Bower's Shrike-thrush is absent from the rainforests of Iron
Range and Macillwraith Range and Cape Melville (probably the most southern area
of rainforest that might be labelled part of Cape York Peninsula).
Unfortunately most people do not use the location "Cape York" correctly and
usually use that name when they actually mean Cape York Peninsula, as I suspect
was the case for the original image (but happy to be corrected). The northern
extent of the wet tropics (for example Windsor Tableland or Bloomfield area)
would not normally be referred to as part of Cape York Peninsula. It might be a
moot point where Cape York Peninsula might be said to begin but generally the
term does not overlap in common use with the Wet Tropics Regi
 on. There are many such endemics that are present in the Wet Tropics but
absent from Cape York Peninsula rainforests, which in character and
biodiversity more closely resemble New Guinea than the Gondwanan nature of the
Wet Tropics. But of course there is some overlap.

Peter Valentine