birding-aus

Twitchathon 2012

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Twitchathon 2012
From: "Arwen B. Ximenes" <>
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2012 21:19:36 +1100
What a great idea, thanks for this opportunity, Russell.
We have just competed in the NSW and ACT Twitchathon. We're not "serious"
participants, but we are serious about raising money for bird conservation. We
enjoyed the weekend immensely - would you like to sponsor us retrospectively?
TEAM NAME: Laidback Lapwings, based in the Blue Mountains
TEAM MEMBERS: Arwen, Julie and Niki
EVENT: Champagne
SPECIAL CONSTRAINTS: none
TEAM OBJECTIVE: 1) raise money for the Cowra Woodland Birds Program ($1300 so
far!!), 2) 100 species (reached with 2 minutes to spare) and 3) "pledged to
fledge" one of our team members (and she's well and truly flown the nest now!).
Please email me off list if you would like to sponsor us.
For those who will be asking for sponsorships: I put out a request for pledges
on Facebook and also did a big group email to friends, family, etc.
Interestingly, I received ZERO offers from Facebook and LOADS of generous
pledges from that email (and I am humbled that so many people are keen to
support the cause and are so willing to back me). One of the difficulties is
for people who don't see you regularly to donate, so online donations through a
website would help enormously (also with distribution of receipts), though I
believe a portion of it usually goes to the company maintaining the website.
Actually I plagiarised part of one of my team mates' messages to her friends,
which I thought was worded nicely (I don't think she'd mind me putting it
here): "If you are thinking of allocating your charity contribution to a
conservation project this year, you might like to send it via the Laidback
Lapwings and make me feel good.. "
Thanks,
Arwen
Arwen Blackwood