birding-aus

Do Migratory Birds Fly In Clouds - And at Night.

To: Philip Veerman <>
Subject: Do Migratory Birds Fly In Clouds - And at Night.
From: John Wright <>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2012 23:08:14 +0900
Philip, these are observations from people who are constantly looking
for migrants all along the western coast of Japan during the whole of
the spring and autumn migration seasons. They are searching the areas
below lighthouses, small offshore islands, etc. and notice that on
days following a full moon, there are many more migrants to be found
in the mornings at such landing spots - birds that are usually
exhausted from flying all night. Therefore, these observations seem a
lot more accurate than a survey method that tries to spot birds as
they are flying in the night sky.

John