birding-aus

Marsh Sandpipers etc at Werribee 21/10

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Marsh Sandpipers etc at Werribee 21/10
From: jenny spry <>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2012 20:53:04 +1100
Hi all,

We had a very pleasant visit to WTP yesterday but I think everyone else
must have been put off by the Around the Bay Ride, or else doing it,
because we saw only one other car during the whole day. Of course it was a
bit windy (read blowing a gale) and that might have put people off too.

We found 2 Marsh Sandpipers on 36 E 8, down near the Borrow Pit, and
thousands of Red-necked Stints along the beach in the afternoon. The Ruddy
Turnstone was still at the end of the beach near 85WB 6. Two Bar-tailed
Godwits had retreated from the surf on the bay and were feeding in Western
Lagoon 9, down by the Murtcain Outfall.

We also found a Little Pied Cormorant in Western Lagoon 4. This is worth
mentioning because we watched it eat a very nice, fresh Flounder that it
had just caught. I was very tempted to rush out and grab it but while it
was a big fish for the cormorant it would have looked rather small on my
dinner plate. I also thought it was interesting to think that Pond 4
actually had something as impressive as a flounder swimming around in it.

Oh, and the lovely Melbourne Water People have "paved" the boulder strewn
piece of the beach road where we used to bump and thump along at the high
water mark. Four wheel drive is no longer needed (smile).

cheers

Jenny
http://jenniferspryausbirding.blogspot.com.au/