birding-aus

White Throated Nightjar- Ku-rin-gai NP, northern Sydney

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: White Throated Nightjar- Ku-rin-gai NP, northern Sydney
From: "Wilsons" <>
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2012 20:33:23 +1100
Hi all
reckoned that the White Throated Nightjars should have arrived by now, so I spent from 6:30-8pm at the previously reported (2007/9/10) stake out in the car park next to the Sphinx Memorial in Ku-rin-gai NP. After wandering the bush tracks around the car park for a while (lots of Swamp Wallabies about; evidence that the casuarinas in the area had been visited by Glossy Black Cockatoos, but not that recently; plenty of small bush birds), I stood in the car park from sunset (7:15pm). It was about 25 minutes after sunset that I heard a couple of distant bubbling calls. About 5 minutes after that a single bird flew over my position, circled once, called (in flight - I always thought they called from the ground) and then headed off along the ridge top (ie following the Sphinx Fire Trail, not the Sphinx Track which heads down to Warimoo Creek). It called from a distance once or twice more but did not return.
At 8pm, the mossies had staked me out so I baled and came home.
Note - the timing of calls starting and the bird appearing is consistent with my other visits to this site for nightjars - birds call from no earlier that 20 mins after sunset and appear shortly after. If you are planning a visit, sunset time is a critical element of planning. (Also, remember to park outside the gates down to the Sphinx, as they are locked at dusk or earlier.)
Cheers
Tom Wilson