birding-aus

Bali & Java

To: <>
Subject: Bali & Java
From: "Greg Little" <>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2012 14:03:34 +1100
Gooday BA

>From 1st to 12th Oct 2012 Judy and I were birding through Bali and east Java
with a target list of about 130 new birds. In all we saw about 186 bird
species and saw 99 new species (ticks). Our guide and organiser was Hery
Kusumanegara and his driver Wagini. All accommodation and meals were good,
more than adequately suitable, we had no troubles with sickness or anything
else and the weather was great.

The guide collected us from Denpasar Airport and we were soon birding at
Uluwattu Temple in the very south. Over the next 12 days we went northward
through lagoons at Nusa Dua, Serangan Island, further north to Ubud, Mount
Abung, Bedagul and Bedagul Botanic Gardens, Buyan Lake, heading west to Bali
Barat National Park and Gilimanuk Bay, then across the Java via the ferry to
visit Mount Ijen and Baluran National Park staying a few nights at Hotel
Berlian Abadi in Banyuwangi. Hery dropped us off on the last day at the
Denpasar Airport.

Highlights for me were Indonesian Honeyeater, Lesser Adjutant, Oriental
Plover, Sunda Minivet, Indigo Flycatcher, Tawny-breasted Parrotfinch,
Woolly-necked Stork and Yellow-throated Hanging-parrot but especially the
Blue Nuthatch, Java Sparrow and Bali (White) Mynah. Other new species
included Teal, Tropicbird, Frigatebird, Cuckoos, Minivets, Cuckoo-shrikes,
Scops Owls, Barbets, Malkoha, Treeswift, Flowerpeckers, Pigeons, Bulbuls,
Flycatchers, Prinia, Tailorbirds, Kingfishers, White-eyes, Swifts, Mynahs,
Starling etc.

I can send a full list of species seen, locations and dates if anyone wants
this.

Thanking you

Greg Little