birding-aus

Nominate Little Egret at WTP on Birdline

To: Mick Roderick <>
Subject: Nominate Little Egret at WTP on Birdline
From: Paul G Dodd <>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2012 14:35:44 +1100
Hi Mick,

Always good to open a can of worms :)

Interestingly, there were three other Little Egrets in the same pond with
completely black legs and feet. Through bins the feet appeared much yellower,
so I was surprised when I looked at the pictures on my computer - especially
since I was expecting the "walked through a can of paint" look.

I spent hours looking through my Asian field guides, and they were all suitably
vague about how much yellow the feet should have. Pizzey and Knight refers to
the sole of the immaculata/nigripes race being yellow - but a very difficult
field mark. This bird certainly has yellow feet and a yellow tinge to the legs.

I'll be interested to hear other opinions too.

Paul Dodd
Docklands, Victoria

Sent from my iPhone