birding-aus

Wandering Tattler time is approaching

To: "Steve McBride" <>, "'Greg Roberts'" <>, <>
Subject: Wandering Tattler time is approaching
From: "Robert Inglis" <>
Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2012 16:25:13 +1000
Greg, the Flat Rock, Ballina (30/5/2010) Wandering Tattler is certainly in full breeding plumage - at least as 'full' as it seems to get while in Australia. But that bird seems to be late in leaving for the breeding grounds if, in fact, it did. Wandering Tattlers are said to be arriving on the breeding grounds in May but that may not be 'Australian' birds, of course. If it was the same bird which arrived [back] at Flat Rock on 29/6/2010 it seems to me to be unlikely that it did the full round trip to the breeding grounds but if it did the plumage would be well worn. It certainly has been well worn on returning adults I have photographed on the Sunshine Coast. I suggest it didn't go too far before deciding not to do the journey and returned to Flat Rock to stay for the duration. Who knows why they do that? There is proof of other species doing that so I can easily imagine some Wandering Tattlers turning back or being turned back mid-stream. The process of moult appears not to be too well understood for Wandering Tattlers but it is known that, for returning breeding adults, the primaries moult after the birds arrive in Australia but the body feathers may start to moult in August on the way to Australia. Perhaps there are hormonal changes in breeding birds that don't do the trip to the breeding grounds which alter the moult process and such birds hold onto the 'full' breeding plumage longer. Most of the breeding plumage should have gone by November/December. All of the returning adults I have seen on the Sunshine Coast have had very little evidence of the breeding plumage left by the time they have arrived around the beginning of November. The two overwintering Wandering Tattlers this year sound like 1st year birds which don't achieve any sign of breeding plumage.

I am working on some images of the overwintering birds I have seen on the Sunshine Coast and I will have them on my website in a day or two (the great race on Sunday may slow me down). That will add to your photo and those of Greg Roberts which should give a good representation of what to expect when looking for or at possible/probable overwintering Wandering Tattlers.

Bob Inglis
Sandstone Point
Qld

-----Original Message----- From: Steve McBride