birding-aus

Wandering Tattler time is approaching

Subject: Wandering Tattler time is approaching
From: Chris Corben <>
Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2012 13:55:00 +0100
Just a couple of comments. I am generalising from waders in general, but assume it will apply to Wandering Tattlers.

First year birds can show a great deal of variation in their 1st Alternate ("Breeding") plumage. These are the birds you would expect to be present in Australia in winter. The variation comes about mainly because the hormonal state of the bird when it moults could be like that of an adult or an immature. If it has reached hormonal adult-hood early, it might come into plumage which looks exactly like an adult, and it might even migrate and breed just as if it was an adult.

On the other hand, if it is still a youngster hormonally when it undergoes its first preAlternate moult (in the Australian Autumn) it will bring in plumage which looks like a bird in Basic ("Non-Breeding") plumage. The effect of this is that it might not change its appearance at all when it undertakes the same moult which would bring in the "Breeding" plumage in an adult, or in a bird which is more advanced hormonally.

It could also happen that a bird will effectively change hormonal states during this moult, in which case the new Alternate feathers replaced early in the moult will look like Basic feathers, and the feathers replaced later in the moult will look like Alternate feathers.

So a bird in Australia in winter which looks as if it is in "Non-Breeding" plumage could be:

1) a bird which never bothered to moult into "Breeding" plumage.

2) a bird which is actually in "Breeding" plumage.

And also, a bird which appears to be partially in "Breeding" plumage could be:

1) a bird which is currently in moult

2) a bird which is in "Breeding" plumage only some of which looks like adult "Breeding" plumage.

These complexities are some of the reasons why the terms "Breeding" and "Non-Breeding" are confusing and tend to obscure what is really going on.

If the above isn't confusing enough, there is another complexity which can really help you see what is going on. The way to interpret the situations mentioned above is to look at the relative amounts of wear and fading of the feathers, which can often reveal how old they are. This is often possible from good photos.

So in practical terms, how could you tell if a Wandering Tattler seen in early September is a bird which over-wintered in the southern hemisphere or a bird which has returned from the northern hemisphere breeding grounds? The big clue is to look at how worn is the plumage. Although there are a number of other scenarios which can affect this (eg a bird may have done a partial migration, or returned very early due to failed breeding), in general there is a clear distinction in the degree of wear between returned adults and overwintered immatures.

The immature birds (in 1st Alternate plumage) will still look fresh. Think of what the adults look like before they migrate in May. The grey parts of the plumage will be really grey with neat edges often slightly fringed paler, and the underparts will show both black and white bars in profusion.

A returned adult will be in worn plumage, because it's flown around the planet and probably had a rough time getting abraded at its nest and has had to deal with feeding babies etc. It has also most likely been exposed to much longer periods of sunlight, which degrades the feathers, though the effect of this is less certain, because the UV will be stronger on birds overwintering in the subtropics, even though for much less of the day. But such returned adults will look browner above, the tips of the feathers tatty, and much of the white in the barring below will have worn off, so the underparts can even look largely solid black.

Despite all the variables, if you know what to look for, the difference between a fresh immature and a worn returned adult is actually pretty obvious!

Cheers, Chris.