birding-aus

Barn Owls

To: <>
Subject: Barn Owls
From: "Euan Moore" <>
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2012 15:16:20 +1000
Hello Rob,

Barn owls are frequent/resident in the Innamincka area (SA).  In July 2011
we would reliably see half a dozen in the course of an evening drive from
Innamincka to the Burkes Grave camping site (approx 10km).  In August this
year there was a group of 5 (2 adults, 3 young) at Burkes Grave.  Enough to
keep you awake at night.  This year we also saw Barn Owls at a number of
other locations within the Innamincka Reserve.  All these sightings were
entered into Birdata using the default list i.e. no need to go to the State
Wide database.

What I have found is that there is a bit of a 'hole' around south-west Qld
in the area of the Cooper.  I usually refer to the hard-copy 'Atlas' to get
the RAOU number for the bird and have found that those species that don't
come up on the 'most-likely' list are also shown in the 'Atlas' as being
absent from this area, i.e. no records for a number of grid squares in the
area.  I think that this is an issue of a bird present in low numbers
combined with a relative lack of observers to report it.  This points to the
number of records being below the threshold required for showing on the
'most likely' list.  Presumably as more records are entered into Birdata the
accuracy of the 'most likely' list will increase.

Euan Moore