birding-aus

Fwd: Re: Olympus LS voice recorder settings

To: "Steve Potter" <>
Subject: Fwd: Re: Olympus LS voice recorder settings
From: Carol Probets <>
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2012 09:18:01 +1000
Steve,

See below for a response from Vicki Powys.

Cheers,

Carol

From: Vicki Powys
Subject: Olympus LS voice recorder settings

Hi Carol,

The LS-7 is supposedly very similar to the LS-10 (which you and I both have).

Assuming that the enquirer wishes to record birdsong, then I would say that the on-board mics are just adequate, but certainly need proper windshielding, more than just the foam covers provided.

I would be using something like high sensitivity volume 5, and if that did not pick up the sound properly then you need to be closer to the bird. Any higher levels and there is too much hiss. Best to record in WAV format.

For top quality recordings an add-on mic is the way to go.

cheers,

Vicki