birding-aus

Barking Owls in SEQ

To: 'Hobson Rod' <>,
Subject: Barking Owls in SEQ
From: Chris Corben <>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2012 10:20:38 -0500
Hi Rod!

I notice you used my old Email - I had to close that because of too much spam.

I have only seen Barking Owls in SEQ near Blackall, in a patch of wetter forest, and at Kenilworth sewerage pond, where I watched one chase a Vespadelus pumilus I was spotlighting. I avoided any guilt for that because the bat avoided the owl! In all the time I spent in the Conondales, this was my only recording from the area.

I once heard a screaming woman call, in Victoria, but never saw the owl. I suppose it might have been human... But it also might have been Sooty, which I knew nothing about at the time. Even after years of seeing Sootys in Qld, I would occasionally hear one at close range, making the hairs on the back of my neck stand up for a brief moment till I realised what I'd heard!

And just a warning about Owl calls - years ago several of us heard a Barking Owl in the Grampians of Victoria. It was totally convincing, except that over a period of a few minutes, it gradually morphed its calls into Powerful Owl calls. Powerful was the actual culprit, as we were able to confirm visually. But for a while, it was giving very good imitations of Barking, and had we not followed it up, we would have been completely convinced a Barking was present.

Cheers, Chris.