birding-aus

Birdline Victoria Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline Victoria Weekly Update
Date: 23 Jul 2012 01:31:36 +1000

Birdline Victoria

Published sightings for the week ending 22 Jul 2012.

Sun 22 Jul Noisy Miner You Yangs Regional Park
Single bird calling from farmland near entrance to You Yangs. First I've heard of them on this side, usually along Ripley Rd to north.
Steven Davidson - The Melbourne Birder

Swift Parrot Burnley
Six Swifties in eucalypts on the corner of Swan St. and The Boulevard, near the spot where I regularly see Gang-gangs in Autumn.
John Gray

Oriental Pratincole Western Treatment Plant, Werribee
Oriental Pratincole First sighting was just inside the first track on the left after passing through the gate. About an hour later good views as it looped around pond 1 before settling in the low samphire bush area. Later it flew accross 29 mile road quite close to our vehicle before landing once again in and around the first western lagoon.
Hedley and Irena Earl

Sat 21 Jul Probable Pomarine Jaeger Western Treatment Plant, Werribee
A good candidate for this species seen harrassing a Crested Tern 50m offshore from Murtcaim Drain, which I initially thought was a Great Skua as it dwarfed the tern. Presumably a non-breeding plumaged adult there were no tail streamers but the bird had broad wings that were wider than the length of the shortish tail, obvious chunky bill and deep chest. It was a sooty brown dark phase bird with no obvious barring anywhere and little in the way of white primary shafts but strong underwing primary flashes. A most unusual winter record for any jaeger species in Port Phillip Bay.
Steven Davidson - The Melbourne Birder

Fri 20 Jul Swift Parrot Broadmeadows
Still 2 Swift Parrots ( now present for a few weeks) frequenting the Kangan Institute car park and nearby areas. Spotted Gums still flowering and attracting many lorikeets.
simon starr

Brown Quail Docklands Stadium, Melbourne
A lone quail flew past our seats on the 3rd level and landed well to back about 1 hr before AFL match commenced. Found bird walking about in 2nd back row (last 10 or so rows still empty). It then flew up to roof and dropped to land in level 1 on other side of ground! Absolutely astonishing!
Craig Morley

Double-banded Plover Lake Tutchewop
Double-banded Plover (6) Northern side; some in full breeding plumage
Malcolm Cousland

Wed 18 Jul Flame Robin. Point Cook Coastal Park.
At 1600 hours, observed a total of 21 Flame Robins alongside drive into the Park proper. A loose flock comprised 15 individuals, Male, Female and Immature birds. Generally good numbers at this location at this time of the year.
Peter Gibbons.

Tue 17 Jul Black Falcon Gruyere
A single Black Falcon flicking around pasture and vineyard this morning. Probable (but uncertain) sighting here last week too. Presumably the same bird. First record for me in the Yarra Valley. A pair of Black-shouldered Kites working the same patch.
Steven Creber

Eastern Osprey Lorne
Single bird flying above the creek in Lorne
Tim Bawden

Mon 16 Jul White-necked Heron Truganina Swamp, Altona
There is a large number of White-necked Herons at Truganina Swamp. I counted at least 10 on Friday 13th July spread all over the flooded area in the centre of the swamp and presumably more as a large area is out-of-sight. Also saw 7 fly over at dusk on 16th from this location towards the sea.
Colin Clark

Sun 15 Jul Shy Albatross, Black-browed Albatross Point Roadknight
At least 6 Shy and 2 Black-browed Albatross flying around less than 100 metres off the actual point, mid-morning. Wind was picking up but still from the north.
Sean Dooley

Fluttering Shearwater, Shy Albatross, Pink Robin Point Addis
On a surprisingly calm morning with the little breeze their was coming in from the north, at least 15 Shy Albatross less than 500m offshore and more than 100 Fluttering Shearwater streaming south west in a narrow band. Also a 'brown' Pink Robin at the car park.
Sean Dooley

Black Falcon, Whistling Kite Princes Freeway crossing of Kororoit Creek, North Altona
While driving east on the Princes Freeway at about 1:15 pm I saw one Black Falcon and one Whistling Kite about 100 metres apart (the falcon just east of Grieve Parade) at the Kororoit Creek crossing.
Paul Peake

Black Falcon Altona
Black Falcon over Bell Avenue, Altona (close to Truganina Swamp) around midday.
Colin Clark

Broad-billed Sandpiper, Oriental Pratincole Western Treatment Plant, Werribee
Broad-billed Sandpiper (1) At Pratincole site. Bird had been spotted by another observer who called us back from our way to the borrow pits. Not terribly dissimilar to the Red Necked Stints also there, but significantly longer bill, with slightly uneven decurve towards the end. Pretty distinctive head and face patterns. Looked strange inamongst the RN Stints as it had to withdraw its head about twice as long after probing the snd. Oriental Pratincole Near the entrance to the Spit - south side of 29 Mile Road. Go through the locked gate, take the left fork, around the pond and then right, to the end of the road (where the road has been removed). Pratincole was sheltering next to a small bush about 100 metres straight out and slightly right. Hard to see, as it was well camoflaged against the bush and not moving much. Eventually it flew in a loop, returning to the same spot. Watched for about an hour, around 9am, never saw it feed in all this time Bird had been flushed at the Austin road site earlier that morning and had come straight here..
Bill Stent

Brolga McDonald Road Swamp, Nagambie
Brolga (3) far eastern side of the swamp in the paddock, I have not seen them here before.
Robert Treble

Restless Flycatcher Hamilton CBD
Restless Flycatcher (1) spent 15mins watching bird hovering around shop verandas collecting spiders from the many webs to eat, very entertaining to here scissors grinding in CBD!
Samantha Greiner

Yellow-tailed Black-Cockatoo Light Horse Park, Seymour
Yellow-tailed Black-Cockatoo (105) Flying over Light Horse Park. Large numbers on northern edge of their range.
BirdLife Murray Goulburn

Birdline Victoria is sponsored by BirdLife Victoria and co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea Birds.