birding-aus

Birdline NSW Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline NSW Weekly Update
Date: 23 Jul 2012 01:31:18 +1000

Birdline NSW

Published sightings for the week ending 22 Jul 2012.

Sun 22 Jul Grey Goshawk Acacia Gardens (approx 6km Nth of Blacktown CBD)
one grey-phase bird seen in the morning.
Edwin Vella

Cape Petrel Mistral Point, Maroubra
A Cape Petrel was the highlight of several hours of sea watching at Maroubra this afternoon. The bird was observed flying south close to shore in strong south-easterly winds. Also seen were dozens of black-browed (many as close as 100m from shore), several yellow-nosed, and a few shy albatrosses.
Fiona Brook

White-bellied Sea-Eagle Gladesville
White-bellied Sea-Eagle (1) Adult. Observed cruising north over Monash Rd. The second sighting (probably the same bird) for my local area in the past two days. Perhaps nesting along the Lane Cove River and straying further afield to search for prey.
Max Breckenridge

Sat 21 Jul Eastern Rosella Leichhardt, Sydney
A pair of Eastern Rosellas has now been around our place in Leichhardt, Sydney, frequently for four months (first sighting March 24, 2012). Although the Leichhardt 1'cell is is a known site for that species only a few sightings have been documented.
Nikolas Haass & Raja Stephenson

Fri 20 Jul Grey-crowned Babbler Morongla Cemetery
3 Grey-crowned Babbler first heard and then observed foraging at the cemetery.
Alastair Smith

Australian Pied Oystercatcher Port Stephens
154 Australian Pied Oystercachers in a survey of Port Stephens by members of Hunter Bird Observers Club
Alan Stuart

Thu 19 Jul Banded Lapwing Glenarvon Road, Lorn
5 seen feeding on turf farm opposite footy field. Early sighting?
Robert Kilkelly and Grant Brosie

Eastern Osprey Terrigal lagoon
A pair of Eastern Osprey seen circling Terrigal lagoon mouth with one roosting on top of Norfolk Island pines. Hopefully looking at breeding.
Paul Shelley

Wed 18 Jul Australian Shelduck Boorowa-Yass Road
1 male 1 female feeding in muddy pasture close to road about 10kms from Hume Highway junction
Wayne Gregson

Plumed Whistling-Duck, Spotted Harrier Canowindra outskirts
Plumed Whistling-Duck still at lagoon next to Eugowra road (reported 2 July) but now around 100. Spotted Harrier seen close at hand just off road to Cowra
Wayne Gregson

Channel-billed Cuckoo Ryde, NSW
Mid morning I saw an adult Channel-billed Cuckoo in my neighbour's Sydney Blue Gum. It was being mobbed by a pair of Australian Magpies with some assistance from Noisy Miners. Pied Currawongs raised a Channel-billed Cuckoo in that same tree last summer (reported on Birding-aus). I think the magpies will be nesting soon, but this is the earliest time of the year that I've seen a Channel-billed Cuckoo in Sydney.
Dr Stephen Ambrose

Tue 17 Jul Ground Cuckoo-shrike Quambone, 2km East of Quambone towards Coonamble on the Quambone Road
4 birds on the fence next to the road.
Steve Edwards

Mon 16 Jul Australian Pratincole, Buff-banded Rail On Newell Highway just north of Moree
Single Pratincole seen on the road just north of Moree, many more seen across the border in Queensland. Buff-banded Rail also seen at this location when stopping to watch Pratincole. This is an early date for Pratincoles in NSW
Phil March, per Ken Shingleton

Great Crested Grebes Smiths Lake, Emerald Beach, NSW
The Green Pygmy-geese and male Northern Mallard seen at Smiths Lake last winter have not returned so far this year. However, there are a number of interesting species there, including Plumed Whistling-Ducks and Wandering Whistling-Ducks, Comb-crested Jacanas, and Black-fronted Dotterel. The Great Crested Grebes, in winter plumage, are in the clear water at the far side of the lake and a birding scope is needed to see them clearly. The dominant bird on this lake, and on several other fresh water lakes and dams of the Coffs Coast at present, are Eurasian Coots.
Ian McInnes

Beautiful Firetail, Pacific Baza, Scarlet Robin, Jacky Winter, Superb Lyrebird Nepean River Lookouts, 8 km west of Mulgoa
I took a nice walk along Neapean River from the lookout. Beautiful Firetail came out on the track just near the lookout. I found one Pacific Baza thanks to very noisy Noisy Miners. Superb Lyrebird were very vocal. One male Scarlet Robin and two Jacky Winters were perching on the fence near main road to Mulgoa.
Ted wnorowski

Glossy Black-Cockatoo, Rose Robin, Wonga Pigeon Bents Basin SCA, West Sydney
Four Glossy Black-Cockatoo were feeding on Casuarina fruits at Gulgur NR (500 m from the gate). Wonga Pigeon very common around the camping area. One male Rose Robin displaying near Conservation Centre.
Ted Wnorowski

White-headed Pigeon Kiama 10' Cell
3 White-headed Pigeons in Bonaira Reserve
Ray Comer

White-eared Monarch Terranora
2 birds were seen in the un-named council reserve in Market Pde.
Rob Morrow

Yellow-tailed Black-Cockatoo Mount White (F3)
Flock of 100+ birds flying over the F3 today at 1pm close to Mount White.
Charles Hunter

Sun 15 Jul Pied Butcherbird Singleton Rd, Wisemans Ferry (approx. 70km NW of Sydney CBD)
One adult seen on privbate property beside Singleton Rd. This is the 3rd time within the last 4 years I have seen/heard them. My previous record were of 2 calling at the Wisemans Ferry Golf Course in Feb 2011. This is the only site I know in Sydney where they are resident.
Edwin Vella, Tony and Stephanie Dawe

Regent Honeyeater Capertee
One, among other honeyeaters about 10k down road to Glen Davis.
Phil Murray

Sat 14 Jul Glossy Black-Cockatoo Pearl Beach
Group of 11 birds seen flying to roost at 5.06pm. Largest flock I have seen at thos location. Pearl Beach is still very active with GBCs with many casuarina in the area showing evidence of recent feeding sessions.
Charles Hunter

Little Shearwater Sydney Pelagic
The avian highlight of today's Sydney pelagic trip was a well seen Little Shearwater, the first sighting from the Halicat in more than two years.(It will require a submission to NSW ORAC). The attached photos show a dark-headed juvenile Black-browed Albatross or possibly Campbell Albatross. Cetacean highlights were more noteworthy with a Southern Right Whale showing well at the heads on our departure, a group of False Killer Whales briefly seen, and a very cooperative Dwarf Minke Whale which circled the boat at close quarters for several minutes. A Shortfin Mako feeding on our berley at close range was also a highlight for those on board. Pictures by Raja Stephenson:
Roger McGovern and all on the Halicat

Sun 8 Jul Glossy Black-Cockatoo Fletcher St, Wentworth Falls
Two Glossy Black-Cockatoos (from the photos they look like a male and a young female) at 4:40pm in a casuarina eating its fruit.
Rob Middleton per Nikolas Haass

Birdline NSW is sponsored by Birding NSW, Birds Australia - Southern NSW & ACT and Cumberland Bird Observers Club and co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea Birds.