birding-aus

Hunting in NPs

To: Birding-aus <>
Subject: Hunting in NPs
From: John Leonard <>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 17:42:26 +1000
Hunting by itself won't remove ferals from National Parks (if hunting on
its own worked to exterminate animals there would be no large mammals left
anywhere in the world).

To remove ferals you need a coordinated strategy involving baiting,
trapping and shooting (and possibly other methods), the proportions of each
depending on the area and the target feral. My worry is that after letting
recreational shooters into NPs it will be impossible to get funds for
proper feral control because the Minister will say 'Haven't you
got the shooters helping you?'.

John Leonard

--
John Leonard
Canberra

I want to be with the 9,999 other things.