birding-aus

Birdline North Queensland Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline North Queensland Weekly Update
Date: 21 May 2012 01:30:40 +1000

Birdline North Queensland

Published sightings for the week ending 20 May 2012.

Sun 20 May Scarlet Honeyeater Upper Bohle River, Kelso, Townsville
A single male Scarlet Honeyeater flying from a tall bluegum (Eucalyptus tereticornis) which is covered in unopened flower buds. The species has been seen here before (rarely) and usually when the blue gum is flowering.
Peter Valentine

Little Friarbird Bohle Wetlands Revegetaion Site
Little Friarbird (1200) from 7:40 am and continuing at our departure at 8:40am, continual waves of Little Friarbirds were flying upsream (south) over the Bohle River. We estimate about 20 birds on average each minute, sometimes more,sometimes less passed our position. Occasionally a wave would land in the top of riparian eucalypts. Never staying more than 20 seconds, they continued their 'migration'... We have never seen this phenomenom before.
Len & Chris Ezzy

Sat 19 May Southern Boobook Mount Louisa (in our back yard)
One Southern Boobook trying to rest in a tree in our back yard. Not often seen in suburban Mount Louisa. Chris was alerted to its presence by the comotions of the Blue-faced Honeyeaters harrassing it.
Len and Chris Ezzy

Channel-billed Cuckoo Townsville Town Common Conservation Park
Channel-billed Cuckoo (1) late or over wintering, young bird high in dead tree on plant trail.
Ed Pierce

Wed 16 May Red-winged Parrot, Black-faced Monarch Castle Hill, Townsville
Red-winged Parrot (1) juvenile, unusual in Townsville Black-faced Monarch (1) juvenile, busily feeding
Alexandra Canton

Mon 14 May Kalkadoon Grasswren, Painted Finch Mt Isa
Two Kalkadoon Grasswens seen at end of Pamela st. Numerous Painted Finches at Moondara dam.
Tim Faulkner, Scott Ryan, John Weigel

Sun 13 May Channel-billed Cuckoo Daintree Village
Appeared to be an immature bird over wintering in the area
Doug Herrington

Carpentarian Grasswren, Spinifexbird Lady Loretta mine site rd
Six Carpentarian Grasswrens seen at two sites along the rd. One spinifexbird bird also seen.
Tim Faulkner, Scott Ryan, John Weigel

Birdline North Queensland is sponsored by BirdLife Northern Queensland and BirdLife Townsville and co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea Birds.