birding-aus

Birdline Western Australia Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline Western Australia Weekly Update
Date: 14 May 2012 01:31:17 +1000

Birdline Western Australia

Published sightings for the week ending 13 May 2012.

Wed 9 May Laughing Dove Hammersley Ranges, Pilbara , Western Australia
On a recent biological survey in the Pilbara, myself and John Graff came across a Laughing Dove within a major river system. Looking at previous records on NatureMap this appears to be the first record within the Pilbara, and is substantially further north then previous records, with Carnarvon appearing to be the northern limit of this species range in WA. This record is approximately 400 km north east of Carnarvon, in the western Hammersley ranges. Who knows what this individual is doing all the way up there, and it is interesting that it was in natural bushland, opposed to human habitation where this species is usually found.
Bruce Greatwich per BirdsWA

Sat 5 May Scarlet-chested Parrot (2 separate days) Anne Beadell Highway, Great Victoria Desert, Western Australia
Sighting four (WA) on 5/5 at 11:50am. We stopped at the Anne Beadell monument erected last year for coffee and while looking around in the trees as per usual, I spotted a pair resting on a dead branch (the only exposed part of the otherwise densely foliated eucalypt). I got a few photos but light was poor. Sighting five (WA) on 6/5 while on Yarmana Road heading to Laverton, I saw two fly over the road just in front of us past an old bore/dam with a windmill.
Carla and Ian Jackett

Birdline Western Australia is sponsored by Eremaea Birds and co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea Birds.