birding-aus

Finally got that Olive Whistler!

To: <>
Subject: Finally got that Olive Whistler!
From: Ed Williams <>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2012 10:04:50 +0000
Hi all,

Back before Christmas I put an RFI out for Olive Whistlers in the Greater
Melbourne area as it was the last passerine between there and Sydney that I was
yet to catch up with (despite having heard it on several occasions).  I was
overwhelmed with the number of replies - certainly the most I have had for any
enquiry - and was set with a dozen locations to visit during the Christmas
break.

However the inner-twitcher kicked in an whilst I had planned a couple of day
trips to finally bag my bird I ended up on failed missions chasing up reports
on Painted Snipe and Broad-billed Sandpipers.

Anyhow, since then I have been all over the place (except Melbourne) and
therefore hadn't had a chance to follow up on all the leads I had been given.
That was until this weekend.

On Sunday morning I popped up to Toolangi State Forest accompanied by Tony
Keene who was visiting from Adelaide for the weekend.  Stopping off by the
Wirrawalla walk, Toolangi was cold and devoid of much life at all - just a
couple of scruffy Spinebills hopping about.  In about 2.5 hours I think we had
clocked up a pathetic 6 species.  Certainly very different to my prior visit in
early December when it was buzzing.

Resigned to yet another OW defeat we tramped back to the car.  About 30 meters
up the boardwalk from where the car was parked Tony notice something dull fly
quickly into the top of a tree fern - and after much waiting the critter showed
itself.  At last I got that Olive Whilstler!  (Actually what I really said at
the time wouldn't make it through the B-AUs filter...).

So I just wanted to thank all those people who sent me info.  I did promise you
all that I'd let you know how I got on - apologies for the delay - but up until
this weekend there was nothing to report.

Steve Davidson and Gil Langfield get the shout out as they both recommended
sticking to Toolangi - a place I had tried a couple of times before.

Cheers all,

Ed

Ed Williams
Kingsville, VIC