birding-aus

Help with ID on a duck please

To: "'david taylor'" <>, "'Birding Australia'" <>
Subject: Help with ID on a duck please
From: "Steve Murray" <>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2012 18:46:07 +1000
Hi David. I think there are two things making this duck look strange.
Firstly, it doesn't seem to have any flight feathers, which makes it look
long, and is probably why it didn't fly away. Secondly, it has green slime
hiding its throat, which maybe covering up the typical white colouration of
Grey Teal in this area. I don't think holding the tail like that rules out
Grey Teal. It does look interesting but I wouldn't rule out GT.

Cheers Steve Murray