birding-aus

Birdline South Australia Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline South Australia Weekly Update
Date: 30 Apr 2012 01:30:45 +1000

Birdline South Australia

Published sightings for the week ending 29 Apr 2012.

Wed 25 Apr Black Falcon Main South Road, Seaford Rise
Black Falcon (2) A pair of Black Falcons seen circling low in a thermal above small creek. Female was at about 50m above ground level and the male was at about 100m. Got excellent views for ID
Chris Steeles

Peregrine Falcon Southern Expressway, Lonsdale
Peregrine Falcon (1) Adult female flying slowly alongside road giving good views as I drove past.
Chris Steeles

Little Eagle Northern Expressway, near munitions huts
Little Eagle (1) Single bird circling about 50m above road.
Chris Steeles

Southern Boobook, Crested Shrike-tit Private Residence, Gawler East
Southern Boobook (1) Heard just after midnight Tuesday night/Wed. morning - calling for a good 5-10 minutes close to our house Crested Shrike-tit (1) Single bird perched approx. 30cm from small group of Sparrows in our Golden Elm, while Sparrows were calling the CST sat alongside making soft, single-note 'chucking' sounds. First record for our house during 2012. Last year a pair were around here intermittently between early March-late May.
David Hartland

Tue 24 Apr Common Bronzewing Nurse Road, Sheoak Log.
Common Bronzewing (3) Not an unusual sighting but in a very unusual area, I would have thought: a very open paddock with no scrub for a long way! Birds feeding on ground... maybe refueling on their way to a new area?
Chris Steeles

Fri 20 Apr Grey Falcon (5), Flock Bronzewing (20) Birdsville Track
We were very delighted to connect with this bird after a few attempts on our previous trips. I have attached a photo of one of the five (5) Grey Falcons we saw! Also seen were 20 or so Flock Bronzewings (2 males performing their spectacular display flights), Eyrean Grasswren, 30 or so Inland Dotterels, several Cinnamon Quail-thrush, Gibberbird (as David mentions) amongst many other birds. Lots of raptors, breeding budgies, Orange Chats on the track.
Edwin Vella, David Mitford and Stuart Pickering

Gibberbird Birdsville Track
After many attempts over the years, we finally connected with this tricky Chat !!!
David Mitford, Edwin Vella & Stuart Pickering

Thu 19 Apr Chestnut-breasted Whiteface, Black-breasted Buzzard and Black Falcon Strzelecki Track
Some of the highlights from the Strzelecki as part of our trip were: 2 Chestnut-breasted Whitefaces, several Thick-billed Grasswrens, 3 Ground Cuckoo-shrikes, a Black-breasted Buzzard and a Black Falcon. Many birds were still feeding young e.g. Budgerigars and Crimson Chats, and the roads were pretty good for anyone thinking of going out there.
David Mitford, Stuart Pickering & Edwin Vella

Wed 18 Apr Cinnamon Quail-Thrush Strzelecki Track
Plentiful along "the track" - photographed from the car.
David Mitford, Edwin Vella and Stuart pickering

Mon 16 Apr Black-eared Miner (2) Gluepot NR
Two pure breed Black-eared Miners amongst the hybrids and Yellow-throated Miners in Gluepot NR on the 16th April.
Edwin Vella, David Mitford and Stuart Pickering

Red-lored Whistler, Malleefowl (2) Gluepot NR
An adult male Red-lored Whistler seen very well and calling out in the open at Gluepot NR. Also seen were 2 Malleefowl, 6 Regent Parrots, a pair of White-browed Treecreepers, a pair of Striated Grasswrens, Shy Heathwrens, Chestnut-crowned Babblers, Gilbert's Whistlers, Chestnut Quail-thrush, Southern Scrub-robins, Crested Bellbirds, Pallid Cuckoo and nice views of an Australian Owletnightjar perched well outside its hollow in the late afternoon. White-fronted Honeyeaters and White-browed Woodswallows were also very numerous (a few Masked Woodswallows also about with them).
Edwin Vella, David Mitford and Stuart Pickering

Birdline South Australia is sponsored by Eremaea Birds and co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea Birds.