birding-aus

OzAtlas-Atlas of Living Australia App

Subject: OzAtlas-Atlas of Living Australia App
From: "" <>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2012 12:37:08 +1000
It would be good to know from where the data for this are being derived as there are some anomalies. I have just tried it and looking at birds in my local area it includes "Australian Wild Duck" (Anas superciliosa) and "Black Teal" (Anas castanea). Not sure where these common names came from.

Also includes both Common Myna (Sturnus tristis) and Indian Mynah (Acridotheres tristis) in the same list which indicates lack of coordination of nomenclature.

These may be minor (excuse pun) issues with an otherwise helpful resource but may also indicate wider issues for taxa with which I am far less familiar and would not necessarily detect such repetitions/errors.

There are also probably another 20-30 species not inlcuded in the list that are relatively common in the area but I note that even the most common species are only accounted for by a handful of occusrences so the database must be very light on entries.

That said, as a "work-in-progress" this app shows some potential and you can't complain about the price.

Ian