birding-aus

Western Gerygone at Wperfeld

To: Timothy Dolby <>
Subject: Western Gerygone at Wperfeld
From: Patrick Scully <>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2012 21:03:24 +1000
Hi Tim,
The other posts didn't work so I'm resending them. Here they are:
Dave Torr:
Pizzey notes that it is "nomadic, often far beyond stated limits"

Thanks Dave,
Who knows, maybe I did see a Western Gerygone as a pure fluke that had
wandered afar as Pizzey mentioned.  Today I checked my copy of Bransbury's
Where to find birds in Australia, which before getting onto Birding-aus
(after reading Sean Dooley's Big Twitch) was our birding Bible and he
doesn't have any spots for Western Gerygone in Victoria at all. I must say
I find the Thomas and Thomas a big disappointment after expecting it would
be more like Bransbury.
It was good to see you on the pelagic. You were on the boat for my first
pelagic which of course was a birding bonanza for me and I was lucky again
seeing three new birds this time. I hope you get a rarity next time.
Happy birding,
Patrick

Dave Torr:
I have never been a big fan of Thomas - although I did use it to get my
first Ground Parrot near Strahan. I have seen Western Gerygone a few times
in the Chiltern area.

Glad you saw 3 new birds - it gets harder after the first few pelagics but
if you don't go you can miss out!

Tim Bowden
Hi Patrick

There a couple of birdata records from that area. While I have not seen one
there myself I certainly would think it quite possible, they are quite
nomadic after all.

If you are sure of the ID (and particularly if you heard it call) then I
would certainly keep the record :-)

Cheers
Tim

Thanks Tim,
I hope your Easter campout at Wyperfeld  went well. Did you see any
Redthroats?
Happy birding,
Patrick

Tim Dolby
Hi Patrick,

Did you receive any response? FYI I've seen Western Gerygone a couple of
times since 2002, and also in the Little Desert. For the record, your
sighting is completely plausible - it is a nice report. They are more
commonly seen east of the Mallee areas, such as the Warby's, Chiltern,
Terricks etc.

Interested to know who thought to question you report :-)

Cheers and hope this helps.

Tim