birding-aus

Western Gerygone at Wperfeld?

Subject: Western Gerygone at Wperfeld?
From: Patrick Scully <>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2012 09:06:03 +1000
Hi Tim,
Thanks for your reply. I've had a few replies from Dave Torr and Tim Bawdon
and hopefully they will now appear on birding-aus. As anyone who has looked
at your postings and blogs over a period of time would known, and  to me it
seems you are a bit of an expert with the Mallee. I would rather not
disclose the identity of the birder and top birder, who may not be such an
expert for the Mallee but is an undisputed birder of great passion, power
and dedication  and knowledge. And as for me, I am not an expert, I try and
refer to field guides and other peoples' sightings and as such with an
average birder, I may be mistaken with an ID.  If I had been someone such
as yourself, then the sighting would not have been in dispute.  And  as
happens in the birding world, which is small, the next time I see him, he
may be to pleased. But in all fairness, he did say that my sighting was not
impossible, just unlikely, and that the likely place to see them in
Victoria are the ones that most people say are spot on, the Warby Ranges
and Chiltern etc.  But as you know, they are on the park notes as birds for
the Wperfeld and Mallee area and the field guides show them as being found
over quite a wide area. They are certainly easy to see in the South-West of
Western Australia and were one of the best birding highlights for me on a
recent trip. It may seem corny but I often look in the back of Sean
Dooley's Big Twitch to see where Sean saw his birds and sure enough he saw
the Western Gerygone
near Busselton in SW WA.
Happy birding,
Patrick