birding-aus

Eastern Rosella, Leichhardt, Sydney, NSW

To: Nikolas Haass <>
Subject: Eastern Rosella, Leichhardt, Sydney, NSW
From: Andrew Taylor <>
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2012 15:45:02 +1100
On Sat, Mar 24, 2012 at 06:00:55PM -0700, Nikolas Haass wrote:
> A few minutes ago Raja and I heard and saw an adult Eastern Rosella
> outside our place in Leichhardt (Sydney), NSW. This is an unusual sighting
> in this area.

Eastern Rosellas may have bred in Callan Park last summer - I saw or heard
multiple birds on several occasions when out running.  I have seen them
in previous years in Callan Park and at least once on Hawthorne Canal
but like Red-rumpeds more often in the parks to the west of Leichhardt
in Canada Bay & Concord.  I have them on my home list for Glebe courtesy
2 sightings. I did see them regularly on campus at Sydney Uni 20 years
ago, but not in recent years.  I'd be nice if they followed the Crested
Pigeon's lead and became common in the inner west.

Andrew