birding-aus

Little Egret

To: "'Sonja Ross'" <>, <>
Subject: Little Egret
From: "Paul G Dodd" <>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2012 19:58:09 +1100
Hi Sonja,

The race of Little Egret seen in Thailand is the nominate race, egretta
garzetta garzetta - notable for its completely yellow feet (as though it had
walked in yellow paint). The usual race seen in Australia is egretta
garzetta nigripes (sometimes immaculata).

The Asian nominate race does occur from time to time in Australia - usually
up north, but has been recorded elsewhere. Ruth and I saw one at the Western
Treatment plant on March 20th last year, and we posted information about our
sighting on birding-aus.

This sighting resulted in a little bit of email traffic, most notably from
Mike Carter where he pointed us to an article he had written in conjunction
with Peter Menkhorst and published in Australia Field Ornithology. I have
reproduced Mike's email in its entirety below, as I think it is valuable for
the information on distinguishing the races.

Paul Dodd
Docklands, Victoria