birding-aus

Trip report - Mt Worth (Victoria)

Subject: Trip report - Mt Worth (Victoria)
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2012 13:46:50 +1100
A brief summary of a weekend trip to the Mount Worth area in West
Gippsland (Victoria).

Another good cycling and birding trip to this nice birding spot east of
Melbourne.  Staying at 'Twitchers Cottage' not far from the Mt Worth
summit we recorded 30+ species of birds around the house plus further 'wet
forest' species in Mt Worth State Park itself.

Some birding highlights were as follows.

Brown Gerygone - further new location records (north of Mt Worth) for this
species which has been extending its range west in Victoria since the
1980s
Rose Robin - lots of Rose Robins heard calling in rainforest patches new
the top of the Strzelecki Ranges south of Yarragon.
Large-billed Scrubwren - good views of foraging birds in the Mt Worth
State Park Moonlight Creek trail.
Pilot Bird - heard upslope from rainforest gullies in the park
Satin Flycatcher - a full coloured female observed in low trees at our
accommodation
Wedge-tailed Eagle - a pair checking us out above McDonalds Track near the
top of the ridge adjacent to Mt Worth.

Another highlight was sitting at an outside table near the house looking
at Rose Robins, Crescent Honeyeaters and the female flycatcher ... while
enjoying a hot cup of tea!

We can thoroughly recommend the area for birding and general scenery of
tremendous views, remnant tall forest habitats and waterfalls ... best
access is via Darnum on the Princes highway or Yarragon.  Both have good
train services which we used before riding our bikes up the hills towards
Mt Worth.

Martin O'Brien
Melbourne

Notice:
confidential, legally privileged and/or copyright.No part of it should be
reproduced,
adapted or communicated without the prior written consent of the copyright
owner.

If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender by return
email, delete
it from your system and destroy any copies. You are not authorised to use,
communicate or rely on the information
contained in this email.