birding-aus

Fairy Gerygone, Sunshine Coast hinterland

To: " net. au" <>
Subject: Fairy Gerygone, Sunshine Coast hinterland
From: Andrew Stafford <>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2012 17:12:32 +1000
After knocking off Oriental Cuckoo this morning at Dayboro (see previous post)
I had a day to spare and decided to use it. I ended up on the Sunshine Coast
hinterland and hit an excellent hot spot on Cooloolabin Road, near Yandina.
About 7.3 km up this road I found a single Fairy Gerygone with others heard
calling - although they were quite hard to hear and get onto over a deafening
whirr of cicadas! Also here were White-headed (Varied) Sittella, White-throated
Treecreeper, Mistletoebird and Rufous Fantail.

The gerygone will be no news to Greg Roberts, who has been documenting their
occurrence and possible spread on the Sunshine Coast, but it was a pleasant
surprise for me. The habitat was tall eucalypt forest, not the vine scrub from
which Greg has mostly reported them.

Another 400 metres up the road, I stopped to check out a Barred Cuckoo-shrike
high in a tree, and as I was doing so a magnificent female Grey Goshawk passed
overhead. Emerald Dove was common at Fairhill Nursery at Ninderry, rounding off
an excellent morning's birding.

AS