birding-aus

The Big Year

Subject: The Big Year
From: Chris Corben <>
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2012 10:00:08 -0600
I saw the movie some time ago in the USA. I enjoyed it. Yes, too much hollywoodism and american corniness, but what do you expect?

I can't see how this movie was targetted at anyone but birders! I mean, it ends with a montage of hundreds of photos of different species flashed up on the screen one after the other. It is full of little subtleties that only someone into birding, and particularly American birding, could comprehend. So why did so many American birders complain so much about it? Many did on the listservers I see, anyway. Is it possible it flopped because its target audience stayed away?

Many birders expressed outrage at the portrayal of birders as so self-interested and single-minded! Of course, not all birders are like that, but the sugar-coated versions in the film were well within the bounds of reality, and they represent an interesting and important part of our (birders') culture.

So I suspect birders have pretty much shot themselves in their feet, as far as being seen as a worthwhile audience is concerned. If that matters, but it just means nothing else will be made for them. Or maybe it met its market targets? It could do so and still flop in the market at large.

The American film industry was never going to make a film about birders who stay at home and watch birds through their windows, and if they did, why would you want to watch it anyway?

So I say, go see it! Don't be put off by the corniness, but revel in the pictures of birds and the portrayals of real things that relatively few people can appreciate.

Cheers, Chris