birding-aus

Duck shooting season- There'san identification test?

To: "'Peter Shute'" <>, "'Dave Torr'" <>, "'Dimitris Bertzeletos'" <>
Subject: Duck shooting season- There'san identification test?
From: "SeanDooley" <>
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2012 08:42:42 +1100
Peter, is there an equivalent ID test for quail shooters?

I was surprised to learn last year that there is still a (Stubble) Quail
season in Victoria. And I was stunned to read a Victorian government report
which said that in the last quail shooting season they estimate that 678,000
quail were killed. I wouldn't have believed there were this many quail in
the entire state but the report claims fairly rigorous methods based on
surveys of what hunters have said they shot. (And extrapolated out, taking
into account all the licence holders who said they didn't go shooting.)

What concerns me most, is how the hell do these quail shooters identify
their prey? I know even after thirty years' birding I struggle to identify a
quail as it whirrs up from below my feet. In that split second that a bird
bursts from cover I still regularly momentarily mistake a pipit, skylark or
songlark for a quail, let alone nailing an ID of which quail (button-quail
or Plains Wanderer) it is.

Is there any ID test for quail shooters, and if so, do they get the
extraordinary luxury of 20 seconds to make their choice as we have learnt
prospective duck hunters have in their ID tests? In my experience, most
quail encounters are over in about 5 seconds or less.

I wonder how many of the estimated 678,000 birds killed were actually
Stubble Quail? How many Little Button-quail, Red-chested Button-quail or
Plains Wanderer? We know that Plains Wanderer still exist near Melbourne as
one was "brought in" by a hunting dog a couple of years ago. How many others
got blasted that we never hear about, particularly as the majority of quail
hunting takes place on private land, away fom prying eyes.

Sean