birding-aus

Birdline NSW Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline NSW Weekly Update
Date: 6 Feb 2012 01:30:32 +1000

Birdline NSW

Published sightings for the week ending 5 Feb 2012.

Sun 5 Feb Large-billed Scrubwren Casula
Two Large-billed Scrubwrens observed at very close range at Leacock Regional Park, Casula. This park has a walking track which is like walking through a typical dense, damp rainforest (where I saw the birds). Historically the area was dry Cumberland Plain Woodland – but the growth of a dense stand of woody weed plants (African Olive and Privet) around tall old age eucalypts has now made the habitat more characteristic of rainforest.
Michael Paul

Red-browed Treecreeper Settlers rd, Bucketty, Central Coast.
Pair heard then seen 800m along Settlers rd Bucketty (to St Albans) on the left side of rd near a small dam. Observed for some time and seemed settled in the area! Seen here previously but rare on the Central Coast!
Tim Faulkner

Sat 4 Feb Red-tailed tropicbird Long Reef
An afternoon visit to Long Reef on the off-chance of something interesting was turning up all the usuals - Sooty Oystercatchers, Red-necked Stints, Eastern Golden Plovers - with a few Wedgetails, a Short-tailed and a couple of Flutterings offshore in the very light winds. Then astounded to pick-up a Red-tailed Tropicbird off the reef, gaining height after a dive for fish. After another dive it headed southeast and out to sea.
Robert Griffin

Great Crested Grebe Penrith Lakes and Regatta Centre, Penrith
Great Crested Grebe (8) The Grebes were seen on the south end of the :ake at the intersection of Castlereagh & Cranebrook [There are 2 intersections of this road, it is the lake across the road from the north intersection]. There is at least one nest and at least 8 Grebes.
Jenny Stiles

Wedge-tailed Shearwater (pale-intermediate morph) 15km off Swansea Heads
Amongst a group of Wedge-tailed and Fleshy-footed Shearwaters appeared a bird with pale underparts identified as an intermediate / pale morph of Wedge-tailed Shearwater. I believe this is very uncommon in NSW waters?
Mick and Steve Roderick, Lucas Grenadier

Square-tailed Kite Bellawongarah - private property
A single Square-tailed kite was seen gliding slowly and low over our top paddock. The white crown and face clearly visible. A total of 32 species including 1 Eastern Bristlebird (house yard)**,1 Large-billed Scrubwren, 3 Brown Thornbill, many Black-faced Monarch, 2 Rufous fantail,1 Lyrebird seen on track but others heard, 3 Yellow-tailed Black Cockatoo including one juvenile, 2 Logrunner, Wonga and Topknot Pigeon, Brown Cuckoo-dove, 4 White-throated Treecreeper, Red-browed Finch. ** The Bristlebird (male) has only been heard and seen around the house yard since late December. They are more commonly seen and heard in another location on the property.
Carla Jackett

Plumed Whistling Duck, Musk Duck, Yellow-billed Spoonbill Central Coast Wetlands, Pioneer Dairy, Tuggerah (restricted access)
Highlights of the Breakfast with the Birds event in honour of World Wetlands day, at Pioneer Dairy Wetlands today were 10+ Plumed Whistling Duck, a male Musk Duck, a Yellow-billed Spoonbill, Yellow-rumped Thornbills, 3 Buff-banded Rails, several Great Egrets, Royal Spoonbills, 11 Cattle Egrets, Whistling Kite etc.
Alan morris & 14 members of CCGBNSW

Fri 3 Feb White-breasted Woodswallow Malabar Lagoon, Moruya
Six White-breasted Woodswallows hawking, calling, and occasionally resting in high dead branches of trees 17:45 h. Centred around the bridge that crosses the entrance to Malabar Lagoon from the Moruya River, 2 km east of Moruya. Four of the birds were resighted on the morning (11:00 h) of Saturday 4 February. No doubt as to identity. Poor but diagnostic photos available. This is well to the south of their normal range along the east coast.
Harvey Perkins

Striated Heron Rodd Point (Iron Cove)
Foraging on exposed rocky shore at low tide about 5 metres from Henley Marine Drive.
Robert Curran

Little Bronze Cuckoo Tamarind Close, Richmond Hill, near Lismore
One Little Bronze Cuckoo calling in our garden. Also Brush Cuckoo's really going off, plus occasional call from Fantail Cuckoo.
June Harris

Rose-crowned Fruit-Dove, White-eared Monarch Iluka Nature Reserve North
Rose-crowned Fruit-Dove (2) Male seen well White-eared Monarch (1) Very local
Grant Brosie

Australasian Figbird Merimbula
Single female observed at close range feeding in heavily fruiting fig tree in private property on Marine Pde, Fishpen. I have not seen this species here before.
Dan Weller and Amanda Smith

Thu 2 Feb Great crested grebe Lake at intersection of Castlereagh & Cranebrook Rds, Cranebrook
There were at least 5 great crested grebe on the lake - a pair have a nest on the Penrith end of the lake. Easily visible from the roadway.
Adrian Dick

Ground Cuckoo Shrike Condobolin Airport
3 birds observed flying in stubble paddock 7 km East of Condo right near Parkes Rd.
Warren Chad

Blue-faced Honeyeater Front yard in Cambridge Gardens, near Penrith.
This morning around 08:00 as I walked out to my car I flushed two adult Blue-faced Honeyeaters that were feeding in the Cocos Palm flowers lining our driveway. They flew across to my neighbour's tree (of the same species) and continued feeding in those flowers. First sighting here at my place for over three years.
Ákos Lumnitzer

Wed 1 Feb Common Noddy, White-necked Petrel, Streaked & Buller's Shearwater Mistral Point, Maroubra
A summer record breaking 23 species in twelve hours of scanning today, highlights were : my first record of Common Noddy here, 2 Streaked Shearwaters, 1 White-necked Petrel, I Buller's Shearwater, 2 Sooty Terns, 1 Black-browed Albatross, 6 Hutton's Shearwaters, 9 Flesh-footed Shearwaters, 750 Short-tailed Shearwaters, 1 Sooty Shearwater, about 3000 Wedge-tailed Shearwaters and well over a hundred Fluttering Shearwaters, making 8 species of Shearwater for the day. I have now seen 61 species of seabird at Maroubra and today was one of best days ever !
David Mitford

Peregrine Falcon Centennial Park Randwick
Single Peregrine flying over the park causing havoc !!!, Long-billed Corellas still abundant, no Quail seen, although obvious signs of beating in the grass at the usual spot. 5 or 6 Yellow-tailed Black Cockatoos in the huge pine at Quail spot. Clamorous Reed Warbler in full song
Chris Pollard

Plumed Whistling-Duck Edgells Lane Wetland, Bathurst
Plumed Whistling-Duck Seen 9 ducks again on the water at the old brick works site
Geoff Brown

Tue 31 Jan Eastern Reef Egret, Striated Heron Top Lake / Bar Beach, Merimbula
Single Eastern Reef Egret (dark morph) foraging around rocks near bar beach, 3 Striated Herons in various places on oyster leases in top lake.
Dan Weller

Powerful Owl Irrawong track Warriewood
Single bird in coral tree near the horse paddock at waterfall end of the Irrawong track
Adrian Dick

Noisy Pitta Ourimba Creek RTA Reserve, Ourimbah
Single bird seen well. Quite confiding. The plumage suggests a juvenile-immature bird. First report for the Ourimbah Creek RTA Reserve, but recently seen at Palmdale, Palm Grove and Forest of Tranquility Reseve, all at Ourimbah.
Mike Kuhl

Mon 30 Jan Black-necked Stork, Brolga, Forest Kingfisher Harrington Swamp, Tucabia
Black-necked Stork: 3 Brolga: 2 Forest Kingfisher: 2 Seen roadside south of Tucabia. Vast areas under water due to recent flooding.
Grant Brosie

Black Falcon Elong Elong 10' Cell
Single bird flying low over grassland.
Neville Schrader

Spotted Harrier 10 km S of Wellington NSW
single bird flying low over tall grass in paddock.
Neville Schrader

Black-winged Stilt Lilli Pilli Street Davistown
2 x Adults & 2 x Juv. In saltmarsh off northern side of Lilli Pilli Street.
Warren Brown

Sun 29 Jan Australian Brush Turkey Springfield Cres Springwood
A single bird seen alternating between backyards in Springfield Cres Springwood. A rare sighting for the Blue Mountains on the main ridge south of the Grose River - they are reported regularly from Mt Wilson and it was assumed they would eventually be sighted sotuh of the Grose.
Mark Ley per Bruce Gibson

Ground Parrot Barren Grounds Nature Reserve
One Ground Parrot seen on the track past the lodge
Matthew Vinicombe

Common Koel, White-plumed Honeyeater, Red-browed Finch Brian king Park, Oxley Park nr St Marys
One Red-browed Finch landed on a fence. This was scared off by a female Koel Cuckoo seeking refuge in a tree nearby, chased by several White-plumed Honeyeaters. Also seen were Red-whiskered Bulbul's, Red Wattlebirds & Common Blackbirds.
Gordon Kelly

Wed 25 Jan Eastern Bristlebird, Chestnut-rumped Heathwren Booderee National Park
At least three Eastern Bristlebird and one Chestnut-rumped Heathwren Cape St George's lighthouse
Matthew Vinicombe

Sat 21 Jan Red-backed Button-quail Woombah West Tr, Bundjalung National Park
One male observed on track on edge of forest, to side of a wide grassy firebreak at 2.45pm. Not observed in Bundjalung or Yuraygir NP since 1994.
Peter and Bev Morgan

Birdline NSW is sponsored by Birding NSW, Birds Australia - Southern NSW & ACT and Cumberland Bird Observers Club and co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea Birds.

Unsubscribe