birding-aus

birding in the UK

To: <>, <>
Subject: birding in the UK
From: Judith Hoyle <>
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2012 05:33:19 +0000
Hi Leonie,

Have been meaning to respond to your post for a couple of days.  Rosemary gave
some very good advice and info.  I just wonder if you are absolutely bound to
going over in August?? It is peak season in the UK so most places packed with
tourists and, as Rosemary points out, quiet from a birding perspective. If
there is any flexibility, best to go in May or early June (avoid bank holidays
if poss).

My two favourite places for viewing puffins etc are a) the Farne Isles off the
coast of Northumberland and b) the Isles of Lunga in the Inner Hebrides -
reached from the Isle of Mull.  I have seen non-breeding puffins on the Farne
Isles in September.

The advantage of both the above spots are that they are scenically fabulous.
The Northumbrian coast has beautiful isolated stretches of sandy beaches - many
dominated by castle ruins. Bamburgh, Dunstanburgh and Lindisfarne castles just
to name a few.  The walk across the golf links from Embleton to Dunstanburgh is
sublime, and from April through to July the birding is great.  Just up the
road, Budle Bay is a wonderful place for easy shorebird viewing.

Many of the Inner (and of course, the Outer) Hebrides have wonderful seabird
colonies.  What makes Lunga great is that you can go there with a whale
research vessel from Mull and see Minke Whales on the way not to mention stacks
of Artic Tern and Manx Shearwaters to name a few.  If the weather is fine you
can get to Fingles Cave on the way too - spectacular!  Just off the end of Mull
lies Iona.  This sublime island is stuffed full of history and is the site
where St Cuthbert settled.  It is also the site of burial of many ofnthe Lords
of the Isles.  Birding on the Atlantic side / shore of the island is wonderful.
Mull is also a stronghold for Golden Eagle, Diver spp and Otters.

Hope I have not ranted too much, but even without the birds they are great
places.  Again though I would try and avoid high season.

Kind regards

Judith

Judith Hoyle
0437549301