birding-aus

Birding Lamington N.P.

To: Carl Weber <>
Subject: Birding Lamington N.P.
From: Chris <>
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2012 09:53:15 +1100
Hi John and others,

Duck Creek Rd is a nice little wet forest section adjacent to the rainforest.
The only key species I am aware of that you can find there are Spotted
Quail-thrush and Red-browed Tree-creeper. Eastern Bristlebird has not been seen
in the area for many years. As far as I am aware, there are no other places
close to O'reillys where these two species are "gettable".  If you are not tied
to the guesthouse for your whole trip, there are places north and south-west of
Brisbane where you can find those two species.

In terms of access, the road used to be doable by 2WD for the first section
where the two species can be found. However if O'reillys staff say it is 4WD
now you may not be able to access the areas by normal car now. You could
potentially try to walk the road if you are fit, but it would be quite a walk
if you can't drive at least some of the road. I would recommend talking to
O'reillys staff again about whether you can drive a few km down the road and
walk from there.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Chris