birding-aus

Black-winged Petrel, White Tern, False Killer and more: SOSSA pelagic of

Subject: Black-winged Petrel, White Tern, False Killer and more: SOSSA pelagic off Wollongong NSW
From: Chris Corben <>
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2012 10:04:58 -0600
Not a simple ID, but why isn't the Sooty Shearwater at this link a Short-tailed?

To me, the shiny underwing with so little contrast is much more of a Short-tailed feature, especially on the under primary coverts, where a Sooty shows dark streaks which contrast sharply with the very white background. This bird, like Short-tailed, shows a more silvery, reflective-looking background, and the dark streaks are missing, or at least showing very low contrast. They look more like shadings in the feathers than clearcut areas of dark pigment. The low contrast between the the shiny primary bases and the coverts is also a warning sign. These features can be really hard to be sure of in the field, because they are so light dependent, but these photos, especially the third, are good enough in my opinion.

The general look of the bird also makes me think of Short-tailed, with the small bill, small head, steep forehead, small tail, and long foot projection. None of which would be definitive in itself, and I am sure you could find pictures of both species showing and not showing these features. But overall, it looks good for Short-tailed, doesn't it?

Cheers, Chris.