birding-aus

Cameras...

To: "'Birding Aus'" <>
Subject: Cameras...
From: "Paul G Dodd" <>
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2012 20:14:58 +1100
Hi birders,

This is really for the photographer types out there.

I am looking at replacing Ruth's Canon 350D with an upgrade. I am also
looking at replacing my Nikon gear with Canon gear - to be honest, I have
never been really happy with the Nikon D200S and I have never liked the
Nikon 80-400mm VR zoom.

So here are the choices that I am considering:

Canon 60D (not the 600D). This has the advantage of being light so would
suit Ruth for that reason.

Canon 7D. This is, of course heavier than the 60D, but is better specced,
and 1/3 more expensive.

Canon 5D Mk II. This is a full-frame camera - about the same weight as the
7D, and once again, about 1/3 more expensive than the 7D.

Currently Ruth has a Canon 100-400mm IS zoom, and will retain that for the
time being. The big glass is too expensive to consider for the moment,
unfortunately. I am not sure what I will do - possibly try the Sigma 500mm
OS zoom as that seems to have good reviews.

I have read the information on dpreview and all three cameras are well
reviewed. My concern over the 5D is that it is much older than the other
two, and I always worry that it will be immediately superseded (as happened
a month after I bought my Nikon D200S).

I am interested in stories from people that have actually used or tried
these cameras, or advice from the professionals out there.

Since I know that this topic gets thrashed out ad nauseum on birding-aus, I
am happy to receive responses offline.

Thanks and all the best,

Paul Dodd

Docklands, Victoria