birding-aus

WTNTs southern-most observation (South Cape Range TAS)

Subject: WTNTs southern-most observation (South Cape Range TAS)
From: Andrew Taylor <>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2012 23:38:33 +1100
I think can safely claim the southernmost WTNTs for the season - 6 flying
over South Cape Range on 23/1 .  I was hoping for a  record as its below
43 30' degrees and south of any road and all but a tiny bit of
Tasmania but HANZAB tells me WTNTs have made it to Macquarie Island and
also southern NZ.

We were walking the South Coast Track familiar to many on the list
because most walkers start it by flying into Melaleuca as we did.

I can recommend Tasair to get to Melaleuca  because they are flexible
with departure times.  We would have had to wait 4 hours for a Par Avion
flight despite being on the first flight from Sydney.

I did get to see an OBP at Melaleuca - fortunately a male was coming
into the feeding table despite it being the middle of the day so my
impatient son didn't have to wait too long to start out from Melaleuca.

Andrew