birding-aus

Taxonomy question

To: Andrew Hobbs <>, "" <>
Subject: Taxonomy question
From: Nikolas Haass <>
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2012 04:10:05 -0800 (PST)
No, in this case the gender of the colour depends on the "thing" that it
describes. In this case, we are not talking about a black duck (somateria in
this case) but about a black v. So, if 'v' is neutal in Latin (which I believe
is correct) then it should be nigrum, if 'v' was female then it should be
nigra, if 'v' was male then it should be niger. So in this case the gender of
the colour should be independent of the gender of the genus name.

Nikolas

Nikolas Haass

Sydney, NSW