birding-aus

Trip Report - NSW Mid-North Coast 7 - 14 January 2012 (Longish)

To: "Greg & Val Clancy" <>, "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Trip Report - NSW Mid-North Coast 7 - 14 January 2012 (Longish)
From: "Tom and Mandy Wilson" <>
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2012 21:08:51 +1100
Hi Greg (and, via birding-aus, others who responded )
thanks for that - I meant Little Terns, not Fairy, at Port Macquarie so my mistake there (just in case anybody has rushed off to Port M on the basis of my report!). On the Raven, I meant that the tail looked short against what I would expect from an Aust Raven, but it could have just been a plumage or missing feathers - some of the Torresian Crows I saw were very much on the scruffy side. Your comment means I probably saw some others too - I'll look a bit harder next time I'm up that way. I definitely keep an eye out for them around Myall Lakes and when I've visited Coffs but it sounds like they are spreading out slowly and quietly. The possible Sanderling were perplexing - the habitat on the sandbar looks quite good but they were definitely staying put sheltered from the wind, so I never got a good view - hence the question. A couple of others have noted they have been seen up there previously, and I guess there's a lot of beach up in that part of the coast and not a huge number of birders patrolling those beaches.
Cheers
Tom