birding-aus

FW: Our cockatoos are starving – will you help them?

To: <>
Subject: FW: Our cockatoos are starving – will you help them?
From: "Stephen Ambrose" <>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 17:48:09 +1100
I’m sure that this petition will be of interest to all Birding-aussers.

Stephen Ambrose

Ryde NSW

<http://ccwa.org.au/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=4817&qid=745278>
White banner Cockatoos final_0.jpg

Dear Supporter,

Western Australia’s endangered black cockatoos are locked in desperate bid for
survival and they need our urgent help! Native forest logging, land clearing,
fire and drought have devastated their natural food supplies and cockatoos now
face starvation in many areas.

<http://ccwa.org.au/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=4817&qid=745278>
Take action to tell the government that our cockatoos are worth saving.

WA’s unique Baudin’s, Forest Red-tailed and Carnaby’s black cockatoos are now
being forced far from their forest homes to survive, with many even descending
on Perth suburbs in a desperate bid to find food.

With our cockatoo populations already on the brink of collapse, we have just
heard some appalling news.

The WA Government are planning to begin logging within weeksin some of the last
remaining high-conservation forests in the South-west – areas that have escaped
the recent fires, are now a refuge for native species and remain a critical
food source for the cockatoos.

<http://ccwa.org.au/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=4817&qid=745278>
Take action to stop this forest destruction and protect critical food sources
for black cockatoos.

Dave and Dee Patterson have been caring for endangered cockatoos in the Nannup
district of WA’s South-West for the last 25 years. Never, they say, have the
cockatoos had it this bad. The Pattersons have been providing supplementary
food for wild cockatoos and Dave says he’s seen even the normally shy Forest
Red-tails feeding on the ground where they are exposed to predators – something
he has never witnessed before.

Normally a mature cockatoo must eat 100 large marri gum nuts or 1,000 small
jarrah nuts every day. But declining rainfall and a destructive logging
industry means that there is simply not enough to go around.

Now the black cockatoos are in a desperate struggle for survival after an
escaped prescribed burn wiped out nearly 100,000 hectares of forest in the
region.

One of the few refuges in the area is the Helms forest, which is now home to
many of the rehabilitated cockatoos that have been released by Dave and Dee.

We were shocked to find out recently that the Helms forest is one of the next
areas in line for logging, Preliminary operations have already begun in the
area, with logging due to start any day now. Dave and Dee are beside themselves
as they are facing the devastation of this beautiful forest which is now home
to so many of the birds they have looked after.

The Helms forest is just one of the high-conservation forest areas in line for
logging this year. Other critical areas include the Warrup forest near
Bridgetown and the Arcadia forest near Collie.

 The good news is the Environment Minister has the power to stop the logging if
we can convince him that enough Western Australians oppose the destruction of
critical native habitat.

It’s not too late to save our cockatoos!

<http://ccwa.org.au/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=4817&qid=745278>
Add your name to our online action calling on Minister Marmion to stop the
logging of cockatoo habitat.

CCWA

Telephone: (08) 9420 7266

City West Lotteries House 2 Delhi Street
West Perth, WA 6005
Australia

Contact Us
<http://ccwa.org.au/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=4818&qid=745278>