birding-aus

Atherton Tablelands sightings

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Atherton Tablelands sightings
From: "Alan Gillanders" <>
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2012 12:11:52 +1000
Greetings,

Lots of good bird sightings recently.

Pied Monarchs feeding young at the Curtain Fig. A pair of Sooty Owls in the
roots of the fig. 2 Rufous Fantail active nests near the fig. This is unusual
as they are not a common breeding species on the Tablelands.

White-eared Monarchs have bred at Lake Barrine where we saw a young in
association with an adult on Friday. There is still a lot of sorting out of the
plumage patterns of Yellow-breasted Boatbills to be done. Some fledglings are
quite colourful and some are duller than the female. That is unless I recently
saw a young one feed its mother.

Three Brolga in the air west of Walkamin on Thursday and one with a single
Sarus Crane at Hasties Swamp this morning. A lone Glossy Ibis at the swamp also.

A pair of Pale-vented Bushhens 200 metres from the northern of McKell Road,
Upper Barron on Friday morning and a pair calling daily north of the Platypus
Viewing Platform in Yungaburra.

Blue-faced Parrot-Finches on Kenny Road where the forest meets the open
paddocks.

Red-tailed Black Cockatoos over much of the Tablelands in what were rainforest
areas. The trend for them to be here at this time of year is increasing over
the last three seasons. Feeding on Cadagi in Kairi, on the ground near eastern
Atherton and on bloodwoods to the south of the town.

Square-tailed Kite around Hallorans Hill Atherton.

Common Sandpiper at the ski slalom course at the end of Favier Road, Kairi. All
four local egrets present too this morning.

Bowerbirds are still active.

A Pale Yellow Robin in my yard this morning which is rather unusual as they do
not often cross open country.

A probable Barn Swallow over Nick's Restaurant, Yungaburra this morning. The
little bugger would not sit down for me and I was not armed at the time.

Regards,
Alan