birding-aus

Re Feedback on Rockjumpers tours - a response from Rockjumper

To: Greg Roberts <>
Subject: Re Feedback on Rockjumpers tours - a response from Rockjumper
From: Adam Riley <>
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2012 15:54:34 +0200
Dear Greg

Thank you for your response to my comments. This is a matter we discussed in
detail soon after it happened back in 2006 and for which we apologised
profusely. I fail to see any "half-truths at best" in my previous post, I
merely responded to the point you raised. We were very sympathetic to the
situation that you did not notice our local agent's representative with a
large sign-board as you arrived, that you were hassled by some unsavoury
characters in the terminal building and that the contact numbers we were
provided for by our local ground agent and the hotel did not work when you
tried to call them (these being an office number and this well well after
office hours so can reasonably not be expected to have been answered, a
mobile number for the owner of the company who regrettably did not answer
his phone and the hotel phone number, and I was never able to ascertain why
that number didn¹t work for you as it worked fine when I tested it later.)
Its one of those very unfortunate situations that sometimes happen when
travelling and unfortunately as a tour company we cannot guarantee that
every single aspect of the trip will run like clockwork and I don¹t believe
that any tour company in the world would be able to guarantee this. Some of
the logistical arrangements are left in the hands of our local ground agents
in various countries, especially pre tour arrangements such as this, when
our tour leaders are not yet on duty. While we do select the most reliable
ground agent available, in countries such as Cameroon and PNG they are not
as professional as we would prefer them to be. However we took
responsibility for the mishap and have learnt from it and this situation has
not reoccurred in more than 12 tours we have run to Cameroon since 2006.

I presume that Neville, who was tasked to pick you up, did not consider
searching for you in the terminal building as he had waited in a conspicuous
position from before to first passenger came off the plane until the last
passenger disembarked. I agree that he should have done a final sweep in
case you missed the sign but he instead made the assumption that you hadn't
arrived, something that happens often enough when meeting people at
airports.

I am sure everyone who has travelled will have encountered some sort of
mishap of this nature but once again, we apologise for the trauma you
encountered but I would like to reiterate that I felt we dealt with this
professionally and generously at the time and did everything we could in the
situation, and I personally see no reason why this incident from nearly 6
years ago should be aired over and again in a public forum such as this.

Kindest regards

Adam Riley
Managing Director
Rockjumper Birding Tours CC (Reg 2001/059480/23)
PO Box 13972, Cascades, 3202, South Africa
Tel:  +27 33 394 0225/  +27 33 394 0251
Fax:  +27 88 033 394 0225 Mobile:  +27 82 922 4773
Skype:   adam.rockjumper
Email:
Alternative email:
<>
Website: http://www.rockjumperbirding.com

³If you want to be successful, it's just this simple. Know what you are
doing. Love what you are doing. And believe in what you are doing.² Will
Rodgers